With newly planted bushes and trees it is advised they get an inch (2.54 cm) of water weekly for the first two years. It was getting pretty dry and we had passed a week but there was chance of rain everyday and between the fatigue and press of other activities I was letting the watering slide. The forecasts were wrong, no rain

Tulasi came home from the big Deity installation festival in Alachua so I put him to watering straight away. Most of it involves humping buckets of water. We have a hose that gets close to the lower plantings but the upper ones it is mostly hauling buckets from a hose that is fed from a tank that accumulates a slow flow from a spring. The berries in the fenced garden can all be reached by a hose, but the whole process takes several hours.

That night we got a downpour that came fast and with wind that knocked over my broccoli and fava beans. I was able to use stones to prop the broccoli back up but the favas are probably going to stay leaned a bit.

It delivered 1/2 inch of rain. I was hoping for more which would have made the watering endeavor a waste of time but not so lucky. It was demonstrated that 1/2 inch of rain isn’t sufficient because Vidya, after the rain, was pulling weeds out of a garden bed that I had set aside for later plantings and had been neglecting so the weeds were big enough to, in her opinion, “look bad”.

As they were deeper rooted when she pulled them out dry dirt was brought to the surface, which showed that 1/2 inch of rain is not adequate to get water deep enough in the soil to really do some good. It just moistens the upper inches of the soil, which encourages shallow, ergo weaker, rooting and dries out quickly. However, coupled with the watering we did, was actually beneficial.

I had also watered all the existing veggie plants, plus watered the new seedings which included various kinds of beans (including a pole bean named “Gita”(how could I not buy that bean)), squash, melons, cumin (an experiment for fun), cucumbers, and recent transplants including various flowers and some other stuff that slips my mind at the moment. Just to keep them all moist and better conditions for germination and to minimize transplant shock.

I also pruned my indeterminate tomatoes. I have blooming on my early tomatoes but not fruit set yet. We have finally gotten some peas to eat, both the snow pea type where the pods are eaten plus the shelling kind. I warned Vidya to not expect any harvested peas to make it to the kitchen just yet as I tend to eat them as I pick them. The maximum sweetness at harvest diminishes quickly and requires cooking if left too long. She will have to compete for the harvest for the next few days until they come into full production. :-)

Today I am going to plant some succession crops of greens, lettuce, coriander, radish and sweet corn.

Advertisements