I have been cameraless for a while. When we went to the Richmond craft show, I tried taking some pictures but it didn’t work. That is why when we got to Bhakta Rasa’s on the way home, I couldn’t take a picture of him.

FYI, here is one he took with his cell phone that he emailed me later for those of you who haven’t seen his smiling face for a while.

bhakta-rasa-and-me

That is him without the hat.

I finally got around to buying a new camera. When we went to the Maple Syrup Festival I took the documentation along to read and managed to misplace it. I have been waiting for it to turn up and have looked any place it might remotely be but have never found it.

I took some pictures and hooked it up to the computer but, unlike my last camera, it doesn’t invoke a wizard that steps me through getting it into my photo software.  I finally figured out a workaround that is awkward but I can get pictures now, though I still feel there is some shortcut I haven’t figured out. The camera documentation is like scripture — the descending method of knowledge transmission, where it is all laid out, rather than the inefficient  ascending method, where one has to figure everything out.

Weeks have elapsed while all this transpired but there was one picture I wanted to take and so I finally am back to getting my own pictures for my blog.

During the winter we save our wood ashes and spread them out in the garden. Not too thick, as too much of a good thing can be bad, but they do supply potash (the K of NPK, chemical fertilizer) and lots of trace minerals brought up by the roots of the trees.

When the ground is frozen, I go out and spread them. In order to keep track of where I have spread, I use a large wire basket to mark the place where I finished the ashes spreading session. I use the basket because it shows above the snow most of the time.

All winter the deer have been freely coming into the garden and grazing the rye cover crop that is planted there.  The last time I spread ashes was about a month ago.  Since then the basket has protected the rye from being grazed by the deer. Here is a picture showing the difference between the grazed and ungrazed rye taken this morning.

rye

The difference is dramatic and a clear example of why I am spending a lot of time and money on a deer fence.

I walked around looking at my berries and found at least three that had deer damage on them. I was a little surprized as I thought they had plenty of other stuff to eat this time of year but I suspect they were just curious.

We got back on the fencing some yesterday and have it all tacked up and the rabbit fence around the bottom.  Still have to do the gates and a small section that ends at the back of my concrete block garage where  I will need to anchor a piece of wood  to staple the wire to.

The plan is to run an electric wire just above the rabbit fence to keep raccons from climbing over but I might wait on doing that until I see they are actually doing it.

Advertisements