1) Although the human form of life is the rarest opportunity for attaining spiritual perfection, I am now lamenting bitterly. This is because somehow or other I have been born with such an opportunity, but have simply wasted it by never worshiping Lord Krsna. Oh, to whom shall I tell the tale of my misery?
2) Having married and entered the entanglements of materialistic family life, I passed my time in vain. I never got any tangible gain or permanent benefit, but only trouble and botheration.
3) What kind of world is this? It seems to be just like a magic lantern show, wherein so many shadows and optical illusions dance magically before my eyes. I feel great attachment and identification with such a world, and thus day after day passes without any purpose whatsoever.
4) When this body drops dead on the ground, what will then remain mine? At that moment, all of my sons and dearest loved ones will not be able to give me any happiness.
5) I work hard just like an ass every day, and now I am wondering: For whom am I working so hard? I am still surrounded by so many illusions.
6) I waste every day in useless, insignificant work, and I waste every night controlled by sleep. And in every twenty-four hours I never consider that cruel death is always sitting right in front of me.
7) I imagine that I live a very carefree life-style, sometimes eating a lot, or eating a little if I feel like it. Sometimes I see nice things around the town, or sometimes I do not go out at all. Sometimes I wear opulent clothing, or if I’m in the mood, I’ll wear something simple. I live so carefree that I never consider that one day I will have to give up this body.
8) But in actuality my poor heart is plagued by constant anxieties regarding the maintenence of my body, my house, my wife, my family members, and my social obligations. All these anxieties are pinching me sharply and truly destroying my intelligence.
9) Alas, alas! What a remorseful situation has arisen! I am engrossed with all this trouble, but I never consider that all these things are temporary and subject to perish very soon. After I’m dead and gone, what will remain of all my material opulences?
10) When my body is thrown into the pit at the cremation grounds, it will simply lie there motionless. Then many crows, vultures, ants, and worms will come and playfully sport there.
11) All the stray dogs and jackals will become very much delighted, and in great ecstasy they will make a festival ground out of my body and have a huge feast.
12) Just see, such is the ultimate destination of this material body. And the most amazing thing is that all material opulences-my house, family and friends-have exactly the same destination.
13) Therefore I advise those of you who have keen intelligence: “Please give up all these temporary illusions presented by Maya, and search after the means to get pure devotion to Lord Krsna, for this is the only eternal truth.”